spearfishing in Scotland?

General discussion about spearfishing. All registered users can add topics and discuss here.

Moderator: Maza

spearfishing in Scotland?

Postby guest » 22.2.2005 16:07:33

...been very kean to start spearfishing more actively - does anyone have any contacts in Scotland, been searching the web for action - but with no result. Anyone heard rumours of activity over there? thanks!

Mikko

Postby Mikko » 23.2.2005 9:26:19

There is very little spearfishing activity in Scotland. Grounds can be excellent though. Can you please tell me where you will be staying and I can give you some suggestions.

Cheers,
Mikko

Postby guest » 23.2.2005 13:10:06

...good grounds, sounds promissing! will be based on the south-west coast near Glasgow in the Firth of Clyde - hopefully will have a car to get around. So yeah, any good fishing spots or any active people around those places? ...muchly apreciated, ta!

Mikko

Postby Mikko » 23.2.2005 13:49:38

Grand! You are most certainly on the right side of the Alba!!!
I do not see any potential spearing spots very nearby though.
Mull of Kintyre is a sure shot, and is a strikingly beautiful place even if spearing on a given day turns to be shite. Remember to visit Springbank distillery. All of the islands will offer some nice spearing, and scalloping will be great for sure. There are lobsters about too.
Be prepared to be the first spearo the locals have ever seen. :-D
Be polite even if they are not. Take your time to explain what you are doing even if they give you the lip.

Oh, look for rocky cliffs to launch from and stay clear of any beach looking places as the muddy bottoms and fast tides are a dangerous combination. Also, these sandy/muddy bottoms with no structures are very unlikely to hold any decent fish anyway.

If you are to dive on the mainland...I suggest that you drive a tad up north and aim at the firth mouths with good currents. If you get any viz, these spots are almost sure to hold some quality fish. Deep in firths the water in murky and the quality fish will not venture in them. The places where this murky nutrient rich water meets the atlantic currents will produce for sure.

If you have any spare time, a drive up to Ullapool or even Thurso will most likely be worth it.

I have never dived in Skye, but it should be very good at times and the island itself is the ultimate Highland experinece....at least to me. Remember to visit Talisker distillery.

One diver from our team was paddling in outer Hebrides last summer, and he scored a lot of lobster there. He was not after any fish, but I'm sure there will be plenty around.

Scapa flow in Orkney is a classic bubblie diving spot, so there will be plenty to see there for sure. Not very accessible though. Remember to visit Highland Park distillery.

What ever you do.....stay the hell clear of Aberdeen and aberdonians!!
Scary place with scary folks.....trust me, I know.

Personally, I much prefer western parts of Scotland, and I doubt that I'll ever go further east there than Elgin....and even then it's for whisky only.

Keep us posted on your findings and you just might see some of us there in the future.

Oh...do register and identify yourself if possible.

Cheers,
Mikko

Postby Guest » 24.2.2005 15:10:06

That’ll get me started at least – thanks a bunch for all that info! So in a nut shell, visit all distilleries especially Springbank, Talisker and Highland Park – and try out different spots on the west coast and only if there is a good enough distillery on the west coast - is it worth spearing over there, eh? :-)

I’m moving out there to an island in the Firth of Clyde called Isle of Cumbrae – kinda in the middle of no where (http://www.gla.ac.uk/centres/marinestation/), but yeah looking to get spearing to balance the pubing. Good point too, that apart from fish there should be spots for collecting - scallops, crayfish, crab… yumm!

Once I get out there will try some of these spots out - ear mark them, and of coarse post them for any keen whiskey drinking spearer ;-)

Mikko

Postby Mikko » 24.2.2005 15:58:52

That's it (visit all the distilleries, not only the ones mentioned)! Only thing you need to bear in mind is that Jura can offer some quality spearing despite their distillery being utter shite. :wink:

Hey...just checked your spot. Sweet! You are in middle of some of the best grounds. You do not need a car as much as a boat!!! I'm sure the surroundings hold plenty of shelfish. Might get some basking sharks there too (only to watch that is)!!!

Keep us posted....I might end up your way soon. My whisky stocks are running out.... :(

Cheers,
Mikko

UK SW

Postby guest » 30.6.2005 0:23:19

deeperblue.net might be able to help you out as well might be worth a visit to find out who else might be around..

Return to “General”