Some advices-basic things about the spearfishing competition

General discussion about spearfishing. All registered users can add topics and discuss here.

Moderator: Maza

Maza

Some advices-basic things about the spearfishing competition

Postby Maza » 11.4.2005 22:43:28

Guillame from France asked me some stuff so here is some and I will write some more later.....

Preparations for the competitions.

Is unbeliveable how many years from the spearfisher it takes to understund couple basic things about the spearfishing competitions (I am the best example).

Always in the competition zone there is two kind of fish. The fish which are having a home (rock, special sea weed bush or some special place were they are living). Other fish are more independent. They are living with the current, plankton, food, moonlight and sun. So first thing is the find which one of these families are the most common in the area. Of course the fish which have a certain home, is easier to catch at the competition because it is very possible that the fish is there also at least in the beginning of the competition.

Always start your competition with the most easier fish.

In north of Europe the sea map is the best advicer for the spearfisher. Fish are hanging in the places which are collecting the plankton and small fishes. In Finland theses places are the shallows which are having coast or wall of rocks which are keeping the plankton at the same place. Reed is of course same kind of place. So reading the sea map and the wind in Finland you can eliminate the death zone (not in the lakes).

Norway is more complicated because the currents are so strong that nothing is holding the plankton at the same place. But also there are always the same places which are better than others. You have to read the tide tables and practise in the area at the same condition which will be at the the time of the competition. Of course in Atlantic ocean things are much more complicated but basic things are the same.

Mental things. Never give up by the disappoinment that you think that
” I havent saw any fish, I will be fucked up”. Usually the competition zones are so small that the same conditions are ruling the hole area. Especially if you have been practising and you have seen a lot of action, then the disappoinment is trying to hit you super hard. More you have been scouting the zone more better knowledge you have. Usually under the depression the first nice fish you will see you will not get.

In the scouting days or generally when you are spearfishing always stop for a moment. Put your killer instincts under the suite, the creatures of the sea can feel your agression.
When you are having a pause consentrate. Look the shape of the bottom, analize the current (wind, movements of the waves), try to put the conditions in your brain. Especially if you are in the middle of the good action, try to understand thet the fish likes always the best conditions. They are seeking the same kind of action. I mean if one day one place was great. Then next day you feel that some other place is very similar from the great place the other day, it is good change that the action starts also here.

If somebody else is in your favorite spot before you do not think that the another competitor had taken all the fish. Wait a little bit or if it is possible come back later (of course it depends what kind of place we are talking about). Usually in the big international competitions the first hour is the time. In side of first hour people are hunting normally half of the fish of the competition. The international competitions are full of litlle things which are super important but the competitions are so boring that I am not going to write anything about them. I just will get in the bad mood.

Back to the mentally skills. I love spearfishing because the balance of the fysical conditition and mentally experience is great. In our sport the older guys are doing great because they are so much stronger in the head. Some a little things.

If you are missing the fish, I mean if you are shooting shit it is never your guns fault. Usually your fysical condition is out so you are not controlling any moore your hand. One thing which cleans the head from the accuses to the gun is, all your guns have to be the same lable and you always have to use the same guns. Then you know that the fault is in you. My biggest problem is the shooting is the reaction. many times my brain and my trigger hand are not the same thing. So everybody will learn how to shoot by the time but the thing what you have to practise a lot is the reaction-reflex shooting. Best thing to practise this is to shoot a little fish. Check that there is not a friends around and shoot reflex (Franky goes to Hollywood) way all the little fish.

I try to understund how huge role is the mental things playing in our sport, maybe personally it is also because my fysical condition in the sea is the best in the north of Europe so I am not mention about those things. I have one basic rule for fysical training.
Between december and april I rul like hell, I play football and all kind of tuff sports. But in the beginning of may I only concentrate of spearfishing and streching (amateur yoga).
I am not a young boy anymoore and i am quit hectic. So I have realised that in the spearfishing season I just try to bee mentally as strong shape as possible. Running and football are making my body hectic and muscles are not a relax. So i am really doing only fishing. After the fishing day I am writing my diary and looking the diary from the early years. I am compearing the condition and movements of the fish so on. It is so fucken interesting that I do not need almost anything else. Also I am really spending time with my spearfishing gear at the season time. I think you have to realluy get to know your gear after long winter. It is like with the women.....Anyway especially in Finland were the spearfishing action in the sea stops for 6 months you really have to kiss your gear.

Some words about eating before the competitions. For me always the diving goes much better less stuff I have in my stomach. So in the morning of the competitions I eat only one nice bread, little mysli and one cup of coffee. Immediatly after the competition I try to force my self to eat some snack even my body do not agree. I do not belive in the energy drinks or something, but if they mentally give you power then it is ok. During the competition I am also with out any drink (competition with the boat I am drinking some water). What else. One thing which is the problem here in north of Europe. People which are competiting are always the most time in the waater during the 4-5 hour competition. That dosent make any sense. If the competition time is 4 hours, you should normally practise 6-7 hours. Competition is the place were the 4 hours should be in super shape. Now in Finland we have the new ranking system for the internationall competitions so every fish counts. I am normally out in the sea 6-7 hours, but I am with the boat so it is not so tuff, I should swim more with the boye.

Ok, got to go but I will write more stuff around this subject later.......Maza

Kimi

"Maza talk"

Postby Kimi » 12.4.2005 21:03:28

Thanks for sharing your experience Maza! Much appreciated!

Reading "Maza Talk" and learning about spearfishing at the same time, Awesome!

-Cimi

Return to “General”