Spearfishing down under, story 1.

Moderator: Maza

Kimi

Spearfishing down under, story 1.

Postby Kimi » 6.10.2010 12:42:26

G'day mates!

So here I am, in Australia, hanging out with the Finnish spearfishing legend Jorma Merilainen! What a great guy and what a life this man has led! I now see deeper into the Finnish spearfishing cultutre than ever before, and my hope and visions for the future of our sport are strengthened!

Anyway, some fish stories.

After getting over a 5 day scinetific conference we finally got moving and met up with Jorma at his place near Perth. The very same afternoon we headed out to dive with the locals. These locals were Australian sealions, and very keen to get to know the Finnish way of life. One guy came up real close and both I and Jussi got touched by this gentle giant...In a good way.

The next day we got up at dawn and headed out to Rotnest island with local spearo cheaf, Greg Pickering, former Aussie Champ. At the first spot we saw some 15kg king fish (Sampson fish) but no shot. The second spot was beautiful. The rock formations here are spectacular, you have huge arches and caves and just crazy structures under the surface. Greg started burlying (shot a buff bream and cut it up) for kingies, but nothing showed up. We were fighting a pretty strong current and diving was not too easy. The second burly got two kingies to come in, but they were lazy and not too keen to come off the sea floor. I decided to give them a try down there. I dove down and quickly saw one kingfish down there. I was coming down nicely on top of him but he sped up and I really had to try to keep up. I got level with him at 24m and he was shy but inerested, and I could get within range of my 100cm gun (a tiny gun for these waters, but easy to load...). I got a shot in and had no clue if the spear had gone through the fish. These boys fight good! After 5 minutes he was still on the spear and losing power. I saw that I had hit the spine and quickly had my first kingie in my hands and in the boat, a beuatiful 16kg kingfish, I was happy! Greg shot a nice 8kg Dhufish and we saw a pod of dolphins, so the day was almost perfect. On our way home it became perfect as we saw humpback whales plashing around with their immense flukes!

Back at Jormas and Annes place we made some chevice from the kingfish and Greg and his family came for dinner and was surprised that one can eat kingfish prepared like that. The locals don't really appreciate the kingie as much as they should!

A very good start!

Cheers!

Kimi

Return to “Ulkomaanreissut - Trips abroad”