5.3.2005 Eritrea, Dahlak archipelago

Maza will write here about his doings. Only he can writein this forum.

Moderator: Maza

Maza

5.3.2005 Eritrea, Dahlak archipelago

Postby Maza » 16.4.2005 18:06:15

Swetty night. All night just turning and swetting. I woke up allready 6 am. I was really concentrating and I filmed very red sun rise. A little fast breakfast with the bad feelings. we went all ready 9.30 am to search another time for the camera. We really looked every where. We maid lines and we swwam all over. No fucken camera.

Only 20 liters of water left. Joseba was really brave because he was using really small mounts of water, I was white boy so I had to drink a lot. We took also 1,5 liters to our boye because we left for long swimming trip with Joseba. We wanted to go to best place in the island, in the north-east corner.

The curren was really strong so we were happy but it was also eating the energy. Anyway there waas aalot of action. I would saay that the reefs are living totally with the current. With out current the same coral reef can be next day totally dead place.
We ancreded the boye in one super spot. There was a place which went slowly down to 12 meters and there was big stones everywhere. I filmed two huge Pargo swimming around of me. Joseba was a bit bored and he wanted to make ssome action.

I was filming Joseba and he shooted one Pampano about 2 kg for the dinner. Joseba wanted to check if they would be any sharks around so he did not killed the fish immediatly. He left the fish swim and fight in the arrow. I was down in the bottom waiting with my video camera. Nothing was coming. I went up and i waited when Joseba had killed the fish. Then I looked behind and i saw that our boye was jammed. I also so first tourist boat which was coming our way. So I left to pick up the boye. That was fucken mistake or luck, you can decide.

When I came back after 2 minutes I saw Joseba face which looked like after hangover after San fermin. Joseba was in some kind of shock. He was shouting ”Aaaa, did you saw it?”. I was like ” What?”. The fucken shark had attack maestro Joseba.
Joseba told that after he had killed the fish he saw two sharks swimming under him. One was 2 meters and one 3 meters. they were typical Reef Sharks which have been very afraid of as all the trip. But suddenly the bigger one started to swim from the bottom staright to Joseba. Joseba immediatly left the fish from his hands. But not like normally the fish did not care about the fish it was attacking Joseba. First Joseba put hand in front of him as a reflex. But por Dios he has so much experience that he knew that he will loose it. Joseba was sso lucky that the harpoon was in his left hand. So he took the gun in his bouth hands and hitted it inside of wide open shark mouth. The Reef Shark was biting Josebas gun and then in the end it swam away fucken harpoon in the mouth. And that was the time when I came back.

Joseba was so fucken angry to me, ”Fucken hell, I survived the shark attack and you were not avaivable to film it”. It was thrue, but so bad luck, that only time when I did not follow Joseba all the time this episode happened. Aaaaaa, Joseba was shouting, ”We could sell this action all the tv-stations around the world”. Joseba was of course right, but in the end I think the main thing he was not here dead or with out one arm in the beach. Joseba was still full of adrealin. He was shouting crazy things and had to calm him down.’ Joseba was speaking, ” I never saw anything like this, the sshark always attack the fish. This was the first time that it really wanted to eat my spanish ass”.

We were ofcourse on the shallows and looking all the time deeper. I asked were was the harpoon and Joseba explaned. Because I was not so scared I swam a bit and I saw it in the bottom 50 meters away from the reef. It was quit scary moment to dive in 15 meters to pick up the gun. But I had to do it because that was to only thing how we could catch something to eat. I found the gun easily and it was full of shark bites. After this action we of course stopped diving in this spot and we swam in the shallow water towards to our camp.

Just in fron of our camp I tolled Joseba that we need something to eat in the dinner so we need to catch one small fish. Joseba had loosed of course the pampano with the shark action. This day was grazy. We went back to reef far away from the place wer shark had attacked. I did one dive when Joseba was waiting up. I saw one litlle Groupper. I aimed and I pierced it. But not well, because it was fighting. Fucken hell, I tooked the fish up and Joseba killed it immediatly, but in the deeper there was already a big mother fucker checking the situation. Big Reef Shark was swimming and turning. Shit we said and we swam easily to the shallow and then to the camp. What a day!

In the camp Joseba explained me some things about shark behaviour. Normally the sharks are easy guys and they are really scare of humans. But one day in the month, depending about the position of the moon the sharks are really weird. And today was one of those days. It is like that because all the other days the sharks what we saw had been super scary. Fucken hell, the main thing that Joseba kerejeta is still alive. We all knew that even a little bite from the shark would lead to death because, what you can do here in the hippy island. In this moment Joseba also remined that if we could join the big fisher boat in the first days of Massawa, maybe we would have a problems, a big promlems.

Jing-Jang once again. And another Jing-Jang happened in the evening. It was saturday so one turist boat came in to the main beach. We looked so fucked up (indians) that we did want to disturbe the visitors but they came for us. The visitors were three italian teachers which were working in the capital, Asmara. Of course they were having black boat driver. They were a bit old but Joseba was aiming one. They invited as for a glass of wine. That was so amazing. White wine, cold beer, apple pie and fresh salad. I was freaking out. The taste of this things in this sand island was too much. So I left the fire party earlier but the spanish fire men were not having hurry......

Return to “Maza”