12.1.2005 Gibraltar Spain

Maza will write here about his doings. Only he can writein this forum.

Moderator: Maza

Maza

12.1.2005 Gibraltar Spain

Postby Maza » 12.1.2005 21:39:49

I am just so totally tired.
Time went so fast after world championships at Chile that it is really been 2 months that I havent been fishing. Of course I did some night diving at Finland and swimming pool training but. I was really weak first two days here but today the diving to went super ok. My body was just loosing the behaviour of the fish.

This morning started with the spanish style discussion at the harbour. One hour just talking about the fish and prizes and so on. The spanish guys can just talk so much. Anyway the sun was already nicely up when we hit the sea.
We were after the clear water because I told Cesar that I can sacrifice my day and just do filming. Ok, it was once again a good plan.
But I have to say that diving with the video camera box is very hard.

I starting the recording and checking that everything is ok. Then we were breathing heavily with Cesar. He gave me a sign and he started his dive. I was following him as close as possible but I have to say that my fins are to soft. I have to talk with Mikko Nurmi (Spearpoint.fi) to fix me stronger blades. Cesar is using CT (Carbon Tek) fins which are wider than normal fins. Anyway with the underwater video box is quit easy to go down after first 5 meters. Then you just go down easily. It is just like underwater scooter but this machine dosent bring you up. Then in the bottom nice filming and then you really need to have power in your legs to kick your self out from the dephts. I manage to film all day but now I am totally wasted.

But what a day we were having. Cesar told me this was one of the best day in one year. Not by the mount of fish we got but the conditions at Estrecho (Gibraltar). Sun was shining and it was hot. Visibility was 20 meters and water was blue. And the strong currents were visiting some other place at the Atlantic. So we really freaked out today.

First we were fishing in different rocks at 20 meters finding Sea Bass. We got some and then we started to look Grouppers (Mero). Cesar knew one spot were was old huge wreck. It was laying down from 20 meters to 25 meters. Huge Sardin group was watching as when we landed on the deck. Cesar was looking and I was following and finally he shooted a nice Mero. He went to surfice with the reel and he left the mero down. We connected the boye to the harpoon so the line was pulling the arrow so Mero could not swim more deeper in to the iron walls of the wreck. Then I went to 24 meters and I was waiting Cesar. He came and he pulled the Mero out from the wreck and we were having nice catch. Groupper
(Mero) was 7 kg.

We also got a huge royal Zargo 2 kg and once again some fish which name I dont know. And on the way back we met Petecan. He showed as one hole were was a huge Gongrio (Eal). I was filming when grazy spanish guys were pulling the 20 kg sea snake out from his home. What a fight. I havent saw the underwater filming yet but if everything went well you will see some good action at Kampelas site.

So tomorrow still fishing at Algeciras (Gibraltar) and in the evening I have a flight to Mallorca.

Hasta Luego. And what a life!

Return to “Maza”