1.3.2005 Eritrea, Dahlak archipelago

Maza will write here about his doings. Only he can writein this forum.

Moderator: Maza

Maza

1.3.2005 Eritrea, Dahlak archipelago

Postby Maza » 5.4.2005 12:54:32

Morning we woke up with the sun. A little mysli breakfast and another journey with the boat. We were aiming more south-east. Between the coast and main island of Dahlak was two very small islands, Durgan and Durgera. If you look the map of Dahlak archipelago you will see that we were hanging in the beginning of these huge archipelago. Even our places were virgin but you can just imagine what kind of monsters are living in the east side of Dahlak. Fucken hell. There was just not posibilities to go to the unknown wild side (later I will explane that it mide save our lives that we could not go with the fishing boat and we only visited the islands near by!).

We went first to smaller island. Island of Durgera. Bigger island Durgan was just 5 kilometers to the west. The darker men from Africa would leave us for Durgan for one week. Durgera was perfect. Strong currents were licking the deep west coast of the island. The coral was going until 12 meters (it feels shallow but that was almost deepest place we found, my deepest dive in this trip was just 19 meters). I was filming first couple hourts by my self. I filmed napoleon fish 20 kg. What a suspisious guy. Pampano of 8 kg came straight to my objective. Maybe it wanted to rape my yellow camera housing. I also saw my first turtle here. Turtles what a creature under water. It feels like turtle do not belong in the under water enviroment. When they swim they look like finnish spearfishers after a winter break (6 months).

Our guide took as to the deck of the boat from the current. Joseba was starting his monologe, ” Do you want to see how we can use this spear gun”. The guide said ” Oo, it is a lot of problem, it is totally forbidden”. But any way the curious guide wanted to have some fish for his family so we did a little show for him. We saw a perfect place for big fish. Place where were big rocks in 7 meters and a strong current (current was everything here, with out current the reef was out from pelagic fish). i was filming and Joseba was hunting. We dis dome waiting in the bottom and beautiful Jack came. Joseba did not take any risk and he waited and waited. Jack came very close and Joseba shooted it to the neck. Pam, when the reef was singing and the fish was fighting. I was filming and at the same time two sharks came to check out what was happening here. Grouppers came from the holes also looking the action. It is really waking everything up when one big fish is starting to fight. Joseba was looking the sharks and he killed fast the huge Jack of 15 kg. Our boat driver was super happy to get this fish. He told that he will invite hole his family for dinner. He wanted to as to shoot one groupper and we catch nice one 7 kg.

That was end of the day and the driver were driving us to the bigger island. Bigger but not big was the Durgan. You could walk in 45 minutes around the island so it was still quit small hippy island. We were talking with our guide that he would come alone in the early morning of next monday (after 7 nights). We told him that we would fish only small fishes for dinner, but when he was coming we could catch some bigger fish for his family. It was funny feeling when the boat was disappearing the horizont. We were totally banded in the middle of no where. Great!

Sun was totally killer when the guide left us to the beach of Durgan. So we were setting our camp under a petit hot conditions. In the evening we went another time for diving. We just shooted one small groupper for the dinner. I could not dive because my head was really hurting. I knew it was from the sun. I just hoped it would be better tomorrow.
So we were banded naked in the Goa island, sleeping in the beach under the stars which were brighter than my flash light.

Return to “Maza”